What results should I be looking for?

First issue I find people run into when working out is results. I have posted earlier about just how slow results can be, and provided a timeline as to track yourself. However, I want to share with you the full story. Let's just begin with a hard truth...you cannot just target one part of your body and hope to burn fat! Here's why.

Our bodies are not broken up into chucks like we do workouts. Our abs are not separate from our core/back, and legs from butt. I'm simplifying of course, but the point is, the first thing to accomplish is total body workouts. You want to spread out your exercise routines so that your whole figure slims down over time. Once the excess fat has come off, then you can more specifically build certain muscle groups to "show through" a little more :) One example I think people don't really know about is core. When we say core, I don't just mean abs. I mean torso ;) Consider your torso like a donut. You stand in the middle of the donut and the pastry just circles you. Well, its the same way with our muscles! You have to strengthen, tone, and work out your abs, obliques (side abs) and lower back in order to see slimming results in the midsection area. Same idea for legs and thighs. You want to work out thighs, legs, and butt!

Here is another clarification: when I say full body workout, I don't mean work out every muscle group every day. First, you will just be too plain tired to workout as much. Second, you will be sore everywhere! I'm not saying that a full body workout in one day is bad at all! Those are great! But it's also good to pick and choose. For example, one day work back and abs 'til you burnout! Next gym day, work out butt and legs. Next, do arms, chest, and shoulders! See how easy that is? If you burn out a body part, then when you go to the gym next, you won't be using that sore section and will give yourself time to recover :)

But, let's get down to the original question. What results should I be looking for? First, numbers on a scale can be a big accomplishment. Because of my experience, I personally prefer to not weigh myself. Instead, I just look in a mirror. I take a picture once a month to track progress. I also try to see if I'm building muscle (visually). That's a great way to check yourself! Remember, you DO NOT want to just lose fat. Your body was created to have its own beautiful shape! Just losing fat isn't as attractive as you think. Build muscle so that as you slim, you have something underneath ;) (by the way, I am not saying to build muscle like a man. I just mean that being toned is good!)

As an added fun fact...muscle burns more calories an hour. Meaning, if you build more muscle, your body will burn whether you are working out or not!

I am going to recap a post. It takes 4 WEEKS to see any change in yourself when you begin. 4 WEEKS! There are lots of different methods out there to lose weight faster, but if you are doing this on your own, without paying for a diet, and working out 3-4 days per week (45 mins - 1 hour per day) then this is the timeline you will see. I say this because I want you to be encouraged! Don't get down if you've worked out and don't feel like you are going anywhere! After the 4 weeks, it takes an additional 4 weeks, totaling 8 WEEKS, for close family and friends to notice a change. That's 2 MONTHS!!!! Feeling frustrated staring at these numbers? Here is why you shouldn't be. First, 2 months is actually way more than enough time to create habits. In those 2 months, you should have been consistently working out, drinking at least 64 oz of water per day, and eating healthier. This slower progression helps you to ingrain these lifestyle changes into your routine, so that you have more chance for success. Also, this slower weight loss helps keep the fat off and not shock your body.  Because, from there, results begin to come quickly and in bursts. You will notice that your body will rapidly change, then plateau, and then change again! Now, it's completely possible that you will notice results much faster than stated above. But, if you make 2 months your goal, then you won't be as frustrated as if you wanted results in a week :)

Thanks for reading my lengthy post today! I felt the need to write :) I hope you all feel encouraged and empowered that you can do it! Anyone of any age in any life situation can do it :)
Have a wonderful last March weekend!
God Bless,
Cheri

Comments

Popular Posts